ETA researchers develop whole-building energy simulation software programs that allow architects and building engineers to design or retrofit buildings for maximum energy efficiency and occupant comfort.
Programs developed by ETA researchers include the following:
- EnergyPlus whole-building simulation program
- Modelica Buildings library for rapid prototyping and controls design
- Building Controls Virtual Test Bed for co-simulation and for model-based operation
- GenOpt generic optimization program
- EnergyPlusToFMU to export EnergyPlus as a Functional Mock-up Unit for co-simulation.
The Simulation Research Group is also leading, with RWTH Aachen, the International Energy Agency's Annex 60, which is developing new-generation computational tools for building and community energy systems based on the Modelica and Functional Mockup Interface standards.